Comments

..

Behind the scenes: Thai fashion brand Theatre's 25th anniversary show


Everyone has pre-conceived yet accurate notions about the goings-on backstage at fashion shows, and Thai events are no different.  It’s a chaotic space filled with leggy models, makeup artists and hair stylists. Coordinators shout, models giggle, others ignore everyone and tap away at their BlackBerrys.

But Now & Then Towards the Art Futurism wasn't just another fashion show. This was a celebrity encrusted 25-year celebration of one of Thailand’s most legendary brands, Theatre. (See photos below.)

Heart-throb Mario Maurer wore a polka-dot suit, actress Sinjai Plengpanich stunned in a rose-draped cocktail dress and Thailand’s most famous supermodel-turned-mother, Metinee Kingpayom, proved she’s back in fashion form wearing a futuristic bodysuit.

It was a retrospective collection celebrating Theatre’s 25 years in fashion, and of course Sirichai Daharanont, the man behind the iconic brand.
“It’s running through the long history of Theatre”, said Daharanont, designer, founder and owner of the fashion house, about the recent star-studded show. He gathered 50 famous actors, actresses and models to show 25 looks derived from popular collections. “I reviewed the past great collections and added inspirations from impressionism, cubism and surrealism arts."
Which explained why top model Rasri Watcharapolmek's face was made-up to appear like a jigsawed character from a Picasso painting.

From Bangkok to Paris and back

Despite his success at running a business for a quarter of a century, Sirichai says he never dreamed he’d become a designer.

“I just loved to dress up. And just because I couldn’t find what really fitted me, I just made my own clothes and my own style.”

Sirichai started out in the business when Thai fashion was still a luxurious and fancy outlet for small groups of people. The word ‘fashionista’ didn't exist then.

“At my beginning, fashion society was small. The only places people dressed up to be seen were clubs and bars. And these places were where you got to mingle with all the fashionable people,” says Sirichai.

Eventually his nightlife friends brought him into the fashion industry, pairing him with other iconic fashion designers such as Somchai Keawthong of Kai Boutique and Duangta Nandakwang of Soda. But what really formed his style was travel.
“Traveling opened my world. I came from a middle-class family so I ever dreamed one day I would get to see the world. Then I saved up my money and flew to Paris. It was so, ‘oh my god’. I was impressed with everything, from people on streets to fancy lifestyle scenes. After four or five trips, I had enough inspiration to launch my own brand.”
In 1984, Theatre opened its first shop. Since then, the brand has been recognizable by its maximalist style that combines a variety of colors, textiles and oriental touches.

“Of course, there were many times I was discouraged. It was really difficult during the economic crisis [in 1997]. But I’ve never given up. Life is not always rosy, I know that. And I really believe that hard work will reward you one day.”

Sirichai’s hard work has obviously paid off. When the MC at the Theatre fashion show delivered the welcome speech in Thai and French and Thai singer Marsha Wattanapanich walked onto the runway, the message was colorfully loud and clear: it will be some time before the curtain falls on Sirichai and his legendary Theatre brand.

Celebrity models line up backstage.  
Mario Maurer, one of Thailand's rising stars.  
Thai celebrity Dome Pakorn Lum.   
Veteran Thai actress Sinjai Plengpanich.         
Models backstage wait for the MC to start the show.  
Celebrity Marsha Wattanapanich, 39, was the first model to step out onto the runway.
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment